Friday 11 June 2010

Making a change

Words: 329
Reading Time: 1 minute 5 seconds


Today I came across a solution to an issue that has been facing me for a while, but has been unresolved until now.

Some while ago I made a decision to write a book on business in conjunction with a business partner. Both of us made a start, both of us are well-intentioned, but neither of us has consistently put in the work needed. Consequently, the timetable has slipped and continues to slip.

I took on yet another suggestion, just this week, which involves simultaneously writing a second book. This one will be a simple guide to finding material for speeches, writing and delivering them.

I am anticipating both books being stalled in the starting gate. I know I can write at the office. I also know I do not write at the office.

Sometimes these things are about the person; sometimes they are about the situation. Whichever it is, something – often just one thing – has to change to make a difference. For me it was the offer of a very economical hot-desk at a close and convenient location.

There I have a bare desk, bare walls, fast internet access if I want it and free tea and coffee. Here I can go with just one mission: to write. This will be my writing space. I will do nothing else there. And if it is not the solution that I think it is I will have lost very little.

If I sound pleased with myself, it’s because I am.

As I a business coach I have clients that also recognize the need for a change, but fail to find it. I will now have a story to tell that they can work with to move on and develop their own version of my hot desk.

Suggestions:
1) If what you are doing isn’t working, then stop;
2) Make a change, any change;
3) Test to see if the change has brought an improvement;
4) If not, return to 1).

No comments: